Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25th 2008: The departure

So, the day is here! The day I have to say goodbye to eoinzy conrizzle, and say hello to Eoin Conroy, some bloke travelling the world! Boring!

I woke up this morning, with Anne-Marie beside me. She can't believe the time has flew in so fast. There was so much we didn't get to do. Now, I'm off for a year, with no idea where I'll be in a year! She's the same! Today sees the end of us as a couple. The prospect of an organised break-up is daunting, as well as confusing and perplexing. This is un-chartered territory for both of us. When we met, we both knew I was going away, so purposely tried not to get attached, but "unfortunately" we did! How can I handle a break up on a day I've to say goodbye to my family, my friends, and my whole life!! It wont be easy!

First stop that morning was to go get my hair cut! I'll be travelling for a month so thats the last thing I want to worry about! Heat and long hair do not go together!

Next, I had to go up to my mothers creche to say goodbye to her. It was hard, but had to be done. I also phoned my father, who was busy in work with a safety inspector so couldnt meet in person. In the back of my mind I knew all these goodbyes were leading up to the one that I never thought I'd be saying!

After a few last minute errands, I took my bag and got the bus into town and stopped into Anne-Maries place. We had intended to say goodbye here in the privacy of her apartment, but we wanted to squeeze every last second out of each other that we could, so she said she'd come to the airport with me and we'd say goodbye when we were forced to by the anti-cupid that is Aer Lingus flight FR137 to London Heathrow!!

On the bus to the airport, I was taking a few last snaps of Dublin on my camera. I don't know why. Maybe just for sentimental value.

When we got to the airport, everyone else was inside. We met them near the escalator to departures, where the tears were flowing and we got introduced to everyone elses parents. After what seemed like hours of goodbyes, we were finally ready to check-in. Luckily, everyone could still come with us to check-in. Another extra few minutes.......

As we walked down the escalator, I knew the time to say goodbye to Anne-Marie was getting closer by the second. We had both agreed to stay strong because neither of us could handle anything emotional at this time. Everyone had to stay behind the barrier while we queued. Last time I checked in here, we went straight onto the place from here. This would be the last time I would see Anne-Marie. With so many lumps in our throats, I dont know how we got to say a single last word to each other, but we did. In a room surrounded by hundreds of people queueing, you have to try maintain at least a little decorum. I achieved this by going into a nearly meditative state. How she handled it, I dont know.

So after a long queue, we finally checked in. I could still see her. Her eyes were welling up, as were mine. Is this the last time we lock eyes? It can't be!!

Luckily, it was not. It turns out we have to go through security in another part of the building. We would get another whole 5 minutes together!! It may not seem like much, but there and then, it seemed like an eternity. As I queued up to go through security, I kept turning to look at her. As I got nearer the front of the queue, both of us grew weaker and weaker, and let out a few more tears. She broke down. I did too. What did I get myself into!! She found all this too much, and had to leave! The last I saw of her was her turning around one last time to look at me, teary eyed, as she left the terminal building. I started crying again. This is the saddest I've been in years!

The rest of the day doesnt seem interesting, but suffice it to say, we flew to London Heathrow, stayed an hour or 2, then got our connecting, 14 hour, flight to Bangkok.

It begins....

No comments: